Why is Korean food healthy?
There’s a reason why Korean cuisine is such a global culinary powerhouse. Not only are most Korean dishes look and taste so balanced given its equal emphasis on lean meat and vegetables, it is also considered as one of the healthiest cuisines in the world. It is also not surprising that South Korea has one of the lowest obesity rates in the world. In today’s article we are featuring some important points that explain why Korean cuisine is widely regarded as healthy
1. Korean dishes feature a diverse variety of vegetables
Koreans are really fond of incorporating a lot of vegetables into their dishes, regardless of whether they are main dishes or just sides. Cabbages, carrots, cucumbers, bean sprouts, and lettuce leaves, among others, are some of the most common vegetables that you will likely see in a typical Korean dish. Even their meat wraps are made out of leafy greens! Koreans are also fond of almost anything fermented, and this explains why they are just so fond of kimchi. Fermented food items are usually full of good bacteria, nutrients and minerals that help promote good health.
2. Korean dishes use lean meats
Koreans are not just purely about vegetables because as we all know, a lot of their popular dishes feature a lot of meat in them. However, unlike other cuisines that feature large, fatty chunks of meat, Koreans are fond of using lean cuts of chicken and beef that are generally healthier for the body, particularly for the cardiovascular system. No wonder that heart problems do not really plague Koreans in general!
3. Koreans employ healthy cooking techniques and practices
You should have noticed by now that Koreans love to ferment, grill, stir-fry and stew in terms of preparing their dishes. These cooking techniques allow the main ingredients of each dish to be cooked in their own juices. This is different to the cooking practices of other countries where obesity rates are high because of their fondness in deep-frying their food. Koreans are also known for not using a lot of preservatives and other artificial substances on their food.
Here’s a list of some health benefits that we are expected to get from eating Korean dishes:
- Lower risk for suffering from heart ailments, blood pressure problems, and neurological disorders;
- Decreased chance in having cancer because of the regular inclusion of nutritious vegetables;
- Healthy internal organs and stronger bones due to protein derived from lean cuts of meat;
- Better metabolism and digestion because of the presence of probiotics or good bacteria in a lot of fermented food items
- Nicer skin because of minimal usage of preservatives.
Are you now a much bigger fan of Korean cuisine because of the amazing health benefits we provided above? Do let us know in the comments section below how much you appreciate healthy Korean food. And speaking of Korean food, don’t hesitate to visit our website, Korean BBQ Online, today so you can start preparing for a healthy Korean BBQ feast!