Injeolmi (Rice Cake) recipe
Today we are featuring another highly popular Korean snack that you’ll most likely see in almost any Korean party, banquet or feast. Injeolmi is a type of rice cake that is made out of pounded or steamed rice flour and is shaped into bite-sized pieces. This particular rice cake is coated in dried beans powder that is usually made out of sesame seeds, azuki, or even soybeans. Perhaps you’ve tasted an injeolmi before and you want to satisfy your cravings by making some of your own. Well, here’s a no-fuss, easy-peasy injeolmi recipe that you and the entire family can start doing:
Sweet rice flour (glutinous rice flour)
Roasted soybean powder
- Place 1 cup of sweet rice flour, ¼ ts salt, 1 tbs sugar, and ¾ cup of water in a microwavable bowl. Mix it well to make rice cake dough.
- Cover it with Saran wrap, and cook it in a microwave oven for 3 minutes.
- Mix the hot dough with a wooden spoon for about 20 seconds. Put the Saran wrap back on and cook 1 more minute in the microwave.
- Transfer the rice cake dough into a mortar and pound it for about 1 minute (pound 50 times). You’ll make bubbles and then hear the bubbles popping out while you pound, which mean the consistency of the rice cake is just right: chewy and elastic.
- Spread ½ cup roasted soybean powder on a cutting board and place your pounded rice cake in the powder. Roll it around a bit to cover it with a light dusting of powder.
- Cut into bite size pieces.
- Coat each piece of the rice cake with the roasted soy bean powder and transfer to a serving plate.
Sprinkle with sugar when you serve.
Recipe source: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/injeolmi
What’s your favourite version of injeolmi? Don’t forget to share them on the comments section below. Also, make sure to drop by Korean BBQ Online today for the best Korean BBQ food and equipment that you can ever have here in Sydney! Conveniently place your orders online and we’ll get them delivered straight to your house. Feel free to give us a call today!