Easy-Peasy Kimchi Recipe
We already know what kimchi is – it’s the ultimate and most ubiquitous side of dish of Korea. As they say, a Korean meal is not complete if there is no generous serving of kimchi on the side. We also revealed in another article that kimchi is so distinctly embedded in Korean culture that Koreans even buy a separate fridge just for it!
There are a lot of kimchi varieties out there (and you can make your own version of kimchi as well), but the recipe below is for your typical pungent and tasty napa cabbage kimchi. You might actually be surprised as to how easy it is to make your own kimchi at home. Let’s get started!
- 1 head napa cabbage (baechu, Chinese cabbage, wombok)
- ½ onion, thin sliced
- ¼ carrot, thin julienne
- ¼ Korean radish (muwoo), thin julienne
- 4 green onions (spring onions), cut into 3-cm pieces
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- ½ cup go choo ga roo (Korean chili powder)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup sea salt (or any coarse salt)
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup jeot gal (Korean fish sauce)
- Quarter the napa cabbage, wash and drain.
- Mix ½ cup sea salt (or any coarse salt) and 1 cup water.
- Put cabbages in a salted water and take out one at a time to get salt down.
- In a container, add cabbages and pour salted water, set aside for at least 6–8 hours (overnight will be great).
- The cabbage should be soft enough to bend.
- Wash, drain well.
- Mix together ½ cup go choo ga roo (Korean chili powder), 2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar, ¼ cup jeot gal (Korean fish sauce), 2 tbsp minced garlic, and 1 tsp minced ginger.
- Mix in vegetables to the chilli powder mixture.
- Take one cabbage, stuff in above mixture to every layer. Try to fold in half. (must)
- With 2 outer leaves, wrap the whole thing securely.
- Put it in a airtight container.
- Let it sit on a kitchen counter for overnight.
- Put in a refrigerator for 2–3 days. (optional)
- Serve with rice. (optional)
Source of recipe: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Kimchi
The recipe above is so easy to make, but if in case you don’t have the time to make your own kimchi, the Korean BBQ Online has your back. We deliver the best-quality kimchi that you will ever taste straight to your doorstep. Give us a try today!