Awesome Miyeokguk (Seaweed Soup with Beef) Recipe
Miyeokguk or seawood soup is one of the healthiest Korean dishes and is even considered a super food in the US. If you want a hearty source of omega acids, Vitamins B1 and B3, iron, calcium, anti-oxidants, and a whole lot of other nutrients and minerals, then miyeokguk will be your best friend. This dish is highly nutritious that Korean women who just gave birth eat it so that their bodies can recover properly. Koreans also slurp some miyeokguk when they celebrate their birthdays to pay tribute to their respective mothers who gave birth to them and raised them.
We know that you can’t wait to cook your own miyeokguk and experience its amazing health benefits, so here’s a recipe for you and your family:
INGREDIENTS (serves 4-5 people)
1.5 ounces dried miyeok (yields about 3 cups soaked)
5 ounces beef (brisket or stew meat)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons soup soy sauce (gukganjang)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
salt and pepper
10 cups water
- Soak the dried miyeok for about 30 minutes. Rinse 2 or 3 times thoroughly. Drain after each rinse, and squeeze or knead (as if you are working with bread dough) to remove excess salt used in the drying process and rinse off any hidden sand. Drain well, and cut into bite sizes.
- Cut the beef into thin bite size pieces. Marinate with 1 tablespoon of soup soy sauce, garlic, and a pinch of pepper.
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Sauté the meat with the sesame oil just until the meat is no longer red.
- Add miyeok and 1 tablespoon of soup soy sauce, and continue to sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the water, and bring it to a boil. Skim off any scum. Add salt and pepper to taste. Lower the heat to medium low. Boil, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes until the meat is tender and the broth is slightly milky.
Source of recipe: http://www.koreanbapsang.com/2013/12/miyeok-guk-beef-seaweed-soup.html
How do you make your own version of miyeokguk? Don’t forget to share your recipes on the comments section below. Also, feel free to visit Korean BBQ Online today so you will know how we can help you have unforgettable Korean BBQ dining experiences.